This 'n' That; Stocks; Kindle; Reading, October 9th

Topics For Today....
Aren't Stocks Wonderful
    I've been involved in stocks, in investing, in the stock market~one way or the other~since I was about 12 or 14 years old, when I started following what my Dad was doing.  He helped a lot, pointing me in the right direction for an informal education.  In those pre-internet days, print media was the only resource I had.... Forbes Magazine, Finance, The Wall Street Journal newspaper; things like that.  With my Mom working in a subscription agency we had access to practically any magazine or paper, worldwide.
    After my last divorce and about six months after my return to the manufacturing sector~working for minimum pay plus piecework rate~I decided being an 'over-the-road' truck driver would solve a lot of immediate problems.  Driving truck would~for the most part~keep me away from people and feed my nomadic nature.  In the late '90s I finally got a laptop computer and later an internet "thingie" through Sprint; I just plugged the "thingie" into the side of the computer and wah-lah... the whole world opened up, especially Scottrade!!  During those early years I'd... "just turn right and buy stock [go into a rest area, truck stop and start my daily research]."
    Enough of that nostalgia crap... on to the point of this entry.  My 'norm' is to find any number of stocks that 'look interesting' and put them into a watch list.  This list will tell me the date I found [added] the stock and the 'original' price.  As part of my research, I do quite a bit of reading on stocks, both in the media and what they have to say on their website.  The stock we're talking about is a preferred issue from Goodrich Petroleum Corp.  One item that really jumped out at me was that Goodrich [ticker: GDPpC] had intermediate and long-range delivery contracts in the $90/barrel range.  At the time West Texas Sweet Crude was in the $50-60/barrel range.  So right there was a $30-40/barrel potential GROSS PROFIT.
Here's how the watch list, the stock purchases went:
  •     October, 2014     $26.++/share  [watch list]
  •     March, 2015        $10.++/share [watch list]
  •     June, 2015           $6.++/share  [watch list]
  •     August, 2015        $4.++/share [watch list]
  •     08/19/2015; 200 @$2.56/share [purchase]
  •     09/11/2015; 100 @$2.00/share [purchase]
  •     09/17/2015; 100 @$1.87/share [purchase]
  •     09/29/2015;  85 @$o.79/share [purchase]
Today's close saw Goodrich Petroleum finish at $3.60, up $1.28; up 55.17%.  Given that, these 485 shares [total cost of about $995.00] are now worth about $1760.00.  Not too shabby for an amateur, aye?!? 
But, hey.... tomorrow could be the beginning of another 'downhill slide,' so who knows?
A couple of added items to think about:
  • My investment is in Goodrich's preferred stock;
  • At the current price, Goodrich has a 161.29% annual dividend yield.
My plan so far, is for funds invested through my wife's Scottrade account to concentrate on stocks paying a dividend of 8% or greater.  My account is used to invest in those of a more volatile nature like penny stocks or those at all-time lows in price or those in sectors out of favor with the average investor.
**Remember!  It is THE INVESTOR's obligation to perform ALL DUE DILIGENCE prior to buying ANY STOCK!!**

 

 Some New Books I'm Reading/Have Read
    Finally, about 10 months ago~after a multitude of blatant hints~I got'a Kindle WhitePaper for my birthday.  Since then I've been devouring books as fast as I can afford them!  My primary genre is military history/military novels.  Secondarily American history, the Founding Fathers et al.
    I've recently finished:
  • "Corp Justice" 10-book series by C.G. Cooper;
  • "Wings of War" series by Mark Berent;
  • "Soldiers and Marines" by Martin Archer;
  • "Reagan" by Brett Harper;
  • "B-52 Remembrances" by Philip Rowe;
  • "Partners To A Degree" by Horst Christian... among others.
    Some of my wish list:
  • The remainder of the "Soldiers and Marines" 5-book series;
  • The remainder of the "...To A Degree" series;
  • "Scar" by Tom McComb;
  • "NCIS History Special Agent VietNam" by Douglass Hubbard, Jr.
My Kindle has become one of the greatest additions to my "library!" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is All This Arrogance Really Necessary?

This 'n' That, December 16th....

This 'n' That, May 10th